Little Noah

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, June 12, 2009

I got poop...

Pruritic Uticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy, also known as PUPPP, is a benign, severely itchy and painful skin rash, that occurs in one out of 240 pregnancies and leaves the expectant mother in despair for relief.
PUPPP, as some women describe the rash, in a comparison to a feeling of poison oak and chicken pox, generally begins around the abdomen or thighs and can spread over the entire body except for the face, neck and hands. It has the appearance of bumpy, itchy papules that eventually spread to take on the appearance of reddened, scalded skin with welts. It generally feels worse at night and often causes sleep loss due to the intense itch.
The average onset of PUPPP generally occurs around 35 weeks of gestation, however, it has been reported from women as early as 20 weeks. In some cases it may appear in first pregnancies, but has occurred in women with previous pregnancies. PUPPP usually disappears shortly after delivery, but it can remain during the postpartum period.
There are many theories as to the cause of PUPPP, however, it still remains a mystery. One study conducted in France by Dr. Selim Aracting and his colleagues have reported studies linking PUPPP with cells from the developing male fetus. Their studies suggest that fetal cells can invade the mother's skin during pregnancy and in some way cause this dermatosis to develop. Oddly 70 percent of women with PUPPP give birth to boys. This correlation has given rise to the hypothesis that male fetal DNA acts as a skin irritant, but conclusive evidence is still needed. However, not all expectant mothers who develop PUPPP have male babies.
Trying to find relief can be an ongoing battle when an expectant mother is living with PUPPP. The sun, heat, warm water, and clothing can aggravate the rash. It is generally best to wear loose clothing and to try to keep the body as cool as possible. Treatment may consist of topical and/or oral corticosteroids. If you choose a homeopathic approach, some women have reported relief with the use of aloe, oatmeal bath soaks, ice packs, and the use of vaious lotions and soaps.

My little baby boy is causing my rash....awww =) I love my little rash....
See anything can be found on the web.... ; ) I feel better now...Im not looney.

2 comments:

  1. LOL. My sister-in-law had that. It was not fun. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg...I wish i would of read this sooner.. Yes, i had PUPPPs and it was horrible! I think i got it like at 35 weeks and I know first hand how bad it can be. I still have scars on my legs from it and one night i cried and practically slept in the bath tub. I ended up trying some homeopathic remedies that cleared up my rash. But I wish i would of known sooner so that i could of shared them with you.

    ReplyDelete